The Book Of First John – Week 10
Test The Spirits
The people of God will hold firmly to The Word of God and seek to avoid false teaching.
A.W. Tozer’s seven tests to apply to any teaching:
- How does the teaching affect my relationship with God? Is He magnified and glorified, or diminished?
- How does the teaching affect my attitude toward the Lord Jesus Christ? Does it magnify Him and give Him first place? Or, does it subtly shift my focus onto myself or some experience?
- How does the teaching affect my attitude toward Scripture? Did the teaching come from and agree with the Word? Does it increase my love for the Word?
- How does the teaching affect my self-life? Does it feed self or crucify it? Does it feed pride or humility?
- How does the teaching affect my relationships to other Christians? Does it cause me to withdraw, find fault, and exalt myself in superiority? Or, does it lead me to genuine love for all that truly know Christ?
- How does the teaching affect my relationship to the world system? Does it lead me to pursue the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life? Does it lead me to pursue worldly riches, reputation, and pleasures? Or, does it crucify the world to me?
- How does the teaching affect my attitude toward sin? Does it cause me to tolerate sin in my life or to turn from it and grow in holiness? Any teaching that makes holiness more acceptable and sin more intolerable is genuine.
October 13, 2019
September 29, 2019
September 22, 2019
September 15, 2019
September 8, 2019
September 1, 2019
August 25, 2019
August 18, 2019
August 11, 2019